1. I had I had purchased a NOKIA Mobile Phone, MODEL 3220, IMEI No. 3593 9600 2629 573, from an authorized dealer named M/s Jay Durga Communication, Ranihat, Cuttack , in Cuttack City of Orissa State of India on 8th June, 2006.
2. I have been using Nokia phones since years and I know that on the average use of the Nokia phone, it gets discharged in 4-5 days. However even after the purchase of the new phone I found that the phone was not retaining proper charge, and brought this to the notice of the dealer. The dealer said that since the battery was new it may not be retaining full charge and asked me to continue using the phone , so that after the battery gets charged and discharged several times over a period of time , it shall attain full functionality and then attain optimum charge.
3. As advised by the dealer, I continued using the handset. After using the phone for about a month, the phone was still not retaining charge , and used to get discharged
within 5-6 hours, whereas other similar phones used to retain charge for days. When I complained to the dealer, he received my handset on 25.07.2006. The dealer took up the matter with your Service Center at Cuttack , M/s Jagannath Enterprises, Dolamundai, Bajrakabati, Cuttack, on 25.07.2006. They put the battery to test and after a few days reported that there is no fault with the battery but something wrong to the set / phone, and wanted it to be sent to the NOKIA Office/Service Center at Kolkata.
4. The NOKIA Servive Center received the phone set on 1st August, 2006 to be sent to Kolkata vide Repair Job Card No. 7043 on 1st August, 2006. Though more than one and a half month elapsed , there was no news about the phone, neither I received my Mobile Phone. I faced great difficulty in carrying on my profession of a Lawyer and Tax Consultant , without a Mobile Phone . It is our experience that once if the Phone is sent outside the Service Center of Cuttack , it takes ages and lots of efforts to even trace and get it back.
5. After my phone was sent with a promise that it shall be received within a month, and latest by a fortnight, there was no news about it for more than 1 ½ months. I then contacted NOKIA SUPPORT over E-Mail, and also NOKIA HELPLINE/SUPPORT, at 1800-425-3388 and Nokia’s Technical Support Executives . My case was being specially and exclusively handled by one of Nokia’s Technical Support Executive, Mr. Partha Chakraborty. After lots of communication, my Handset was sent back to Cuttack , which is evident from the record of calls available at your Call Center as well as the record of E–Mails at both of our disposal.
6. On 28.09.2006 I received my Handset from your Service Center at Cuttack, M/s Jagannath Enterprises. Now my earlier manual Job card was replaced by a Computerized Job Card No. 256434038/060807/59 dated 7th August, 2006, on the grounds that at the time of receipt of the Hand set the Computerization system was out of order.
7. On use of the handset I found that there has been no improvement in the phone, and no repair of any sort has been done. It was suffering from the same problem, and got discharged with a few hours of being charged fully. I immediately brought this problem to the notice of the Company, through E-Mail as well by phone on your Number, 1800-425-3388.
8. Nokia’s Technical Support Executive, Mr. Partha Chakraborty, then verified about the problem of my handset from the Service Center at Kolkata. Then after being satisfied , the Company through the Technical Support Executive, Mr. Partha Chakraborty, as well as through the several E-Mails assured me in October, 2006 that my Handset shall be replaced. I was repeatedly assured that my Phone shall be replaced by a new Handset, and then finally a deadline of October, 16, 2006 was fixed, and Mr. Partha Chakraborty asked me to collect the new handset from Nokia’s aforesaid service Center at Cuttack, M/s Jagannath Enterprises. I was asked to keep using the handset as a stand by , and that it shall be soon be replaced.
9. The handset did not reach on 16th October, 2006 and then I was repeatedly promised that the delay was due to non-availability of the said Model- 3220 in the local market, which shall soon be arranged. I was assured that, on being arranged my phone would be immediately replaced. On being so assured I kept waiting for my handset to be replaced.
10. However , a few days back some other Technical Support Executive called up and took up a new position completely contrary to the earlier promise made by you, and asked me to deposit my handset at the Service Center at Cuttack, upon which it shall be “assessed” and if necessary replaced by a “working unit” . I was completely shocked at the retraction of Nokia’s promise made earlier on which I depended so long and kept suffering. I have been charging the Handset 3-4 times in a day and using it as a stand-by set as promised, and waited for the replacement. For this reason the Technical Support Executive, Mr. Partha Chakraborty, has been removed from handling my case.
11. I hereby make it clear that I have been suffering from 25.07.2006 , i.e., more than three months , for no fault of mine. I have had a taste of Nokia’s so called “superior service”. In fact I am yet to come across such a major company which first promises and guarantees to replace its product, and then leads its customers along a wild goose chase unto oblivion.