DECEPTIVE ACT BY INDIA TODAY BOOK CLUB, NEW DELHI.
India Today Book Club, New Delhi sent an offer letter to me on 26-08-2008 promising the following free gifts if I give my consent to buy 16 ( Indian Classical Music ) CD pack for Rs2000/-
1. Adidas shoes – one pair
2. Diamond gift voucher for Rs5000/-
3. Deluxe Holiday package Voucher worth Rs5000/- (two nights and three days for a couple including boarding at selected place within India)
India today being a leading magazine, with trust and faith I gave my consent within the time frame and authorized them to debit my card account with Rs2000/- + 249/- being the handling charges in three installments. India Today Book Club promptly debited my card account on 5th September 2008 with Rs1049/- ( First installment of Rs800/- plus the handling charges)
I was eagerly awaiting for the 16 CD pack and Adidas shoes. It is yet to be sent by them even after the completion of five months !!
Responding to my letter dated 12th December 2008, one executive from India Today spoke to me on 30-12-2008 that the consignment would reach me within 15 days.
I sent an email on 22-01-2009 with a copy to the Editor India Today that they should return the amount debited if they fail to deliver the CD pack in a couple of days.
To my surprise they had taken the balance amount of Rs1200/- by debiting my card account on 23-01-2009 and are adamant in not fulfilling their promises.
One Lady Executive from India Today Book Club spoke to me on 31-01-2009 that since the scheme was discontinued, the 16 CD pack was not sent to me. I asked her the reason behind debiting my card account on 05-09-2008 with Rs1049/- and the recent debit of Rs1200/- on 23-01-2009 when the scheme is not in vogue. She was taken by surprise and told that the consignment would reach me in 14 days time !! Again a wrong statement.
During the middle of October 2008 they promised that the consignment would reach me in 15 days time. The same reply was given on 30-12-2008 along with another reason that the parcel was returned undelivered ! Now another reason that the scheme was stopped !
1. When the scheme was stopped how could the parcel was sent ?
2. My post office has not returned any parcel addressed to me.
3. when the scheme was stopped, why my card account was debited on 5-09-2008 and again on 23-01-2009 ?
4. Every time they promise that the consignment would reach me in a fort night time. When speed post is there, why they need such a long time fully knowing that they have made undue delay already.
5. Will a financially healthy club take more than 5 months time to send the consignment even after receiving the money ?
6. Why each executive gave a contradictory statement ?
7. What made the India Today book club to be silent in the matter and intimating anything in writing? Why they are cautious in not giving a written reply to any of my letters or e mail.? So far I have sent more than 10 e mails and a letter under certificate of posting.
Hence I categorically told to the lady executive that either I should receive the consignment or the money within a couple of days and failing which I will be proceeding against them through the consumer court to recover my money with all costs and compensation for the mental agony and deficiency in service.
I strongly hope that this letter would caution the general public to not to fall as a prey for the attractive offers by such companies. It is to be explored that how much money India Today Book Club has collected in this way from the public !
S. Lakshmi Narasimhan Thursday, February 05, 2009
2, SBI Colony – III, Phone : 0427 – 2446877
Meyyanur. SALEM – 636 004. Cell : 9791870575